Set up and operate a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments. Includes precision instrument makers who fabricate, modify, or repair mechanical instruments. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures. (CNC Machinery)
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and vernier calipers.
- Machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, or grinders.
- Measure, examine, and test completed units in order to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments such as micrometers.
- Set up, adjust, and operate all of the basic machine tools and many specialized or advanced variation tools in order to perform precision machining operations.
- Maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
- Lay out, measure, and mark metal stock in order to display placement of cuts.
- Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings, and engineering information in order to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products, and determine product dimensions and tolerances.
- Select the appropriate tools, machines, and materials to be used in preparation of machinery work.
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials onto machines.
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
- Observe and listen to operating machines or equipment in order to diagnose machine malfunctions and to determine need for adjustments or repairs.
- Check work pieces to ensure that they are properly lubricated and cooled.
- Position and fasten work pieces.
- Operate equipment to verify operational efficiency.
- Set controls to regulate machining, or enter commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
- Uses parallels to set up the product and assure it is even/straight
- Change blades/grinders with various shapes/forms/angles/radiuses according to identification card.
- Inspects and counts the products to assure it meets the work order specifications and to assure there are no chips or cracks.
- Track the amount of scrap generated to assure the maximum number of products are being generated and to minimize the amount of waste.
- Scribes the excess product with the appropriate grade and lot number or dimensions.
- Adheres to all safety policies and procedures.
- Wears a respirator and safety glasses when operating machinery or in shop area.
High School Diploma or Equivalent