ABOUT BIRCHBOX: We started Birchbox in 2010 to redefine the way consumers discover and shop for beauty and grooming. The company quickly grew from an exciting idea to a business that has materially shaped the beauty industry: we’ve activated an enormous group of underserved, untapped consumers, awakening their relationship with beauty by making the experience relevant, easy and fun. Our innovation isn’t the simple concept of delivering a box of samples – it’s understanding that although not everyone is passionate about beauty and grooming, everyone still deserves to have a great experience finding, trying and buying it. Birchbox operates in six countries, reaching more than 2.5 million active customers with a portfolio of 500 best-in-class prestige brand partners. We have retail locations within select Walgreens stores across the US as well as a flagship Birchbox store in Paris. ABOUT THE ROLE: Birchbox is hiring a DIRECTOR OF BACKEND ENGINEERING. As the Director of Backend, youll manage with backend engineers to continuously improve our product offerings, platform services and tools. Youll strive to continuously improve the experience of customers and engineers by building robust, maintainable, and evolvable technology thats straightforward to understand and monitor. Software Engineers at Birchbox are always encouraged to be pragmatic and autonomous, taking considerable ownership of the software they create. They will lean on you for professional guidance throughout their careers as well as day-to-day task advice and skills development Our backend systems comprise a core e-commerce application, a Rails API tier, a Python pipeline that automates our assortment and allocation process, and several Java services coordinating warehousing, shipping, inventory tracking, and financial reporting. For the rest of 2019, we’re focusing on buttoning up our payment processing systems to comply with higher industry standards, while continuing to consolidate our fulfillment integrations and internal tooling. We’ve also planned a major greenfield rebuild project for 2020, including a revamped e-commerce backbone and subscription service, and are seeking ambitious engineers to join our team! As the Birchbox Director of Backend, you will:
- Manage and oversee the development of new features within our existing backend software with a commitment to DRY code, observability, and evolvability.
- Oversee the design and maintenance of comprehensive unit and integration test coverage, to ensure site stability and development confidence.
- Oversee the maintenance of third-party integrations, including documentation and testing.
- Help the team keep up with industry trends and best practices, and continually suggest improved strategies and initiatives.
- Manage and monitor the performance and usability of backend systems, ensuring that SLOs are met and faults remain uncommon.
- Support an open, empowering, responsible, and proactive engineering culture.
- Lead engineering lunch-and-learns and engineering design discussions.
- Hold regular touch-bases with backend engineers to provide mentorship, guidance and advocacy for their professional development, as well as acting as a liaison between them, leadership and the rest of the company.
- Represent the backend engineering team in meetings with stakeholders, appropriately conveying velocity, knowledge and resourcing, and doing due diligence in understanding requirements and priorities in a manner that can be acted upon and communicated clearly to the team.
ABOUT YOUIdeally, were seeking somebody with:
- 8+ years of professional software experience (or equivalent).
- 4+ years of people management
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field (or equivalent).
- Excellent coding skills in at least two of Java, Python, Ruby, or PHP.
- Experience using modern web development frameworks (e.g., Ruby on Rails, Spring, Django).
- Advanced SQL skills (MySQL and/or Postgres), with experience in ORM and data modeling.
- Strong Unix / Linux command line skills for both software development and service monitoring.
- Interest in agile processes (scrum / kanban), data-driven development, reliability, and responsible experimentation.
- Familiarity with Docker and AWS, and have used them to streamline the lifecycle of software development projects.
- Insatiable curiosity, a commitment to precision and excellence, and a drive to manage a collaborative team.
Boldly coloring outside the lines of luxury, W turns the traditional notion of the extravagant hotel on its head. Our irreverent attitude and taste for excess redefine revelry for …
As Director of Engineering Formats you will be a stack leader, strong individual contributor (hands-on coding), and be responsible for all areas relating to Front-End architecture,…
Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering and/or equivalent practical experience. 10 years of experience in managing internal infras…