W. W. Norton’s college division is seeking a social science discipline specialist to support the following disciplines: history, sociology, political science, economics, and cultural anthropology. Our discipline specialists are content experts who train local sales representatives in selling the social science list and help them secure priority adoptions. They conduct on-campus meetings with individual instructors, lead formal faculty presentations, and suggest effective follow-up strategies. This a high travel position that requires trips throughout the Central United States.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
When they are not in the field, our discipline specialists engage in the following activities:
- Develop in-depth knowledge of Norton’s educational products in history, sociology, political science, economics, and cultural anthropology.
- Conduct demonstrations of online resources.
- Facilitate software implementations.
- Attend annual sales conferences and occasional meetings in Norton’s New York office.
- Attend 1-2 academic conferences per year.
- Track priority sales targets nationwide.
- Assist the social science book teams with sales conference presentations.
- Consult with marketing teams about important trends observed in the field and collaborate on needed sales tools.
- Participate in discipline specific focus groups.
- Conduct pre-selling campaigns for forthcoming products.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- Residence anywhere in the Central U.S. with ready access to a major airport.
- Minimum of three years’ sales experience in higher education publishing.
- A record of sales success, preferably in the social sciences.
- A record of success with securing large committee adoptions.
- Proficiency with educational technology.
- Strong writing, analytical, and presentation skills.
- Illustrative examples of initiatives that improved performance in previous professional roles.
- Ability to sustain 40% overnight travel during the academic year (with significant breaks early December to early January in addition to the summer).
- BA/BS or equivalent is required.
- Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US.